New report shows impact of pregnancy help centers on their communities
By Brittany Smith
This week marks Pregnancy Help Appreciation Week — an initiative of Heartbeat International. It is a celebration showcasing the vital work of the more than 2,700 pregnancy resource centers (PRC) across the nation.
PRCs are at the forefront of the pro-life movement and are actively involved in women’s lives who desperately need help navigating an unplanned pregnancy.
According to a new report from The Charlotte Lozier Institute (CLI), the research arm of the pro-life group Susan B. Anthony List, pregnancy resource centers served 2 million people with essential medical, education and support services in 2019.
The new report, Pregnancy Centers Stand the Test of Time, the second in A Legacy of Life and Love report series, is based on national survey data provided by major pregnancy center networks (Care Net, Heartbeat International, and the National Institute of Family and Life Advocates) and a host of smaller networks.
“Pregnancy centers exist to serve and support mothers in the courageous decision to give their children life, even under the most difficult circumstances,” said Chuck Donovan, president of the Charlotte Lozier Institute.
“This report calculates the impact of their mission of love in concrete terms. Thousands of centers around the country provide a multitude of free services for millions of women, as well as tens of thousands of men, saving communities millions in tax dollars annually.”
Other key findings from the report include:
- Almost 732,000 pregnancy tests
- More than 486,000 free ultrasounds
- 160,200 STI/STD tests
- Over 291,000 clients attended parenting and prenatal education programs
- More than 21,000 clients received after-abortion support
- 881,000+ students attended sexual risk avoidance education presentations
- Nearly 1.3 million packs of diapers
- More than two million baby outfits
CLI’s prior research reveals that an overwhelming majority of Americans, regardless of whether they self-identify as “pro-life” or “pro-choice,” consider pregnancy centers a valuable community resource.
Here are more ways you can support your local PRC this week, and year-round:
- Pray. The emotional energy given by those who work in the pregnancy help movement is extreme. They give of themselves daily. Pray for spiritual refreshment for those who go into the center today.
- Volunteer. Connect with your local pregnancy help center and see what their needs are. You may have just the right skills to fill a need.
- Donate items. Call your local pregnancy help center and ask them what items they need for new mothers (things like diapers or maternity clothes) and start collecting.
- Give. Without the generous donations of those within the community, pregnancy centers would not be able to provide their services for free.
- Share the love. Share the good work of the pregnancy help community with your social networks.
Read more about the important work PRCs are doing across the nation.